Several thousands of women all over the world experience the life-altering procedure called mastectomy. Breast cancer is one of the more treatable forms of cancer and a mastectomy marks the end of a rather challenging journey for some. With the surgery done, a new chapter begins for recovery and adaptation. They say that choosing your new garments is one of the first steps into the path of recovery. However, if post-mastectomy wear is a new topic for you, then this article will guide you through understanding the most important item you need to start with for your post-mastectomy wardrobe.
What Is A Mastectomy Bra?
A mastectomy bra is not just like any other bra; it is specially designed for women who have gone through the mastectomy or lumpectomy procedure. Because of the unique shape of the chest area after the procedure, these bras have special features to provide support throughout the healing process.
Key Features of Mastectomy Bras:
- Pockets for Prostheses/Breast forms: The defining feature of mastectomy bras is the pockets sewn into one or both cups. These are designed to securely hold breast prostheses (artificial breasts), which help in achieving a symmetrical appearance.
- Gentle Fabric and Construction: Post-surgery skin can be sensitive. Mastectomy bras are made with soft, non-irritating materials and often feature seamless designs to prevent chafing against scars. Comfort cannot be compromised for a supportive garment that is supposed to help with your healing.
- Support and Comfort: They offer firm support while avoiding pressure on sensitive areas. Wide straps, a broader underband, and soft cups are typical characteristics that enhance comfort.
- Adjustability: Because you need to adjust to significant bodily changes such as swelling, adjustable straps and multiple hooks that can improve the fit, is one feature that helps post-surgery.
- Beautiful Design: Just because mastectomy bras sound like some “medical garment”, it doesn’t mean it can’t be designed beautifully. Today, mastectomy bras come in various styles and colors. From lacy to sporty, there’s a range of options to suit personal preferences, ensuring that style and femininity are not compromised.
Visit our bra selections to find out which mastectomy bra would best fit your taste!
Choosing the Right Mastectomy Bra
- Get Professionally Fitted: It’s crucial to be properly fitted for a mastectomy bra. A professional fitting ensures the right size and style for your body shape and surgery type. As for who does the fitting, we have professional mastectomy fitters who are specially trained for this.
- Consider Your Surgery Type: The type of surgery (full mastectomy, lumpectomy, or reconstruction) dictates the kind of bra and prosthesis needed. If you have special directives from your doctor, these too can be requested for custom-designed bras.
- Focus on Comfort: Prioritize comfort over everything else. Look for soft materials, smooth seams, and a snug but not tight fit.
- Explore Different Styles: Don’t hesitate to try different styles to find what makes you feel confident and comfortable. Nothing should stop you from enjoying the experience of discovering new clothes for yourself.
More Than Just a Piece of Clothing
To a lot of people, a mastectomy bra is a practical solution for support and recovery. What not a lot of people may not know, is that this bra can be your symbol of resilience and confidence. You will find yourself building that confidence to choose what you want to wear and not feel constrained by your choices just because certain clothes don’t fit the same anymore. Fashion is flexible, your body may not be the same anymore but that doesn’t mean you don’t get to choose how you should dress yourself up. As you embark this journey of healing, you, and countless other powerful women out there will experience the joys of wearing clothes that feel beautiful and comfortable.